Hints and Tips
At Ferntree Print we pride ourselves at providing a friendly and helpful service so we're happy to help you with any questions you may have in order to get the most out of your printed work. Whether you are doing a long-run offset print job or a short-run digital print, the information on this page will help you set up your artwork ready for print.
Print-ready artwork checklist
In order to help us print your artwork quickly and at the highest quality, please make sure that:
- All fonts are embedded in your file
- Images are in CMYK colour mode and not RGB
- Images are high quality ( 300dpi )
- Outline your fonts
- Allow 2mm bleed around your artwork
We prefer artwork to be in PDF format, if your application does not output a PDF and you are on a Windows machine please click here to download and install PDF Creator. This will create a new printer driver on your computer, when you print to this PDF Creator printer you have the ability to save a PDF version of your document to disk.
If you are still not able to output to PDF then don't worry, we can do the conversion for you for a small fee. Here are some of the formats that we can convert:
- Microsoft Office files (Word, Excel & Powerpoint)
- Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (CS5 editions or below)
- QuarkXPress (version 6.5 and below)
- Most image files, including TIFF, EPS, BMP, JPEG and RAW images
Microsoft Word documents
Please ensure that your Microsoft Word documents is set up using British "A" sizes, and not the "US Letter" American default size. This can be changes by selecting File->Page Setup and choosing the appropriate A size.
Paper Size Guide
Please use the following diagram when setting up your artwork page size.